Thursday, December 4, 2014

John James Audubon - The making of an American



John James Audubon - The making of an American, by Richard Rhodes

I was SO wrong.  I've always thought Mr. Audubon must have been a sort of wimpy guy who went around chasing Tweety Birds to paint them for his cute portfolio.  Then Mona and I spent some serious time at the Audubon home, Mill Grove, on the Perkiomen Creek last year.  Then I read this book and discovered I owe this man a major posthumous apology.

JJ Audubon was an inventor, businessman, great dad and husband.  Oh, and he could draw and paint pretty well too.  Oh, and he was one of the finest 'natural', not university trained, naturalists in human history. Oh, and he was truly an American Woodsman right up there with the Boones, Crockets and Clarks.  What a guy!

Richard Rhodes does a fine job weaving this story about Mr. Audubon as well.  In fact, after a detail filled and therefore bit slow start, I could hardly put it down.

It didn't hurt that we have been walking in his steps many places in the Eastern United States this year, but I highly recommend this book to learn of the challenges of business failures, distant romantic relationships, crooked or at least mean spirited relatives and former friends, and BIRDS.

-Five Stars *****
Ken

No comments:

Post a Comment